Certified Medical Assistant
Fairfield County, CT
- Performs patient care responsibilities as assigned.
- Identifies self to patient/family and accompanies patients to exam/procedure room.
- Prepares patients for visit. Typically includes, vitals, height, weight, blood pressure, EKG, specimen
collection (where applicable), phlebotomy (where applicable), INR (where applicable), pulse oximetry,
spirometry, etc. Documents medical and surgical history, family history, social history, problem list,
and medications, in EPIC.
- Performs screening per physician/provider guidelines, assists physicians/providers with various procedures.
- Obtain pre-authorizations when necessary, convey instructions to patients/family members/caregivers.
- Provides appropriate resource materials and referrals to patient/family as instructed by
- Maintains patient records effectively, efficiently manages and routinely checks EPIC in-basket.
- Answers calls and return calls (in a timely manner) and provides pertinent information.
- Sends/receives patient medical records and abstracts new patient records into EPIC.
Obtains lab/radiology reports, hospital notes, referral information as requested.
Completes forms/requisitions as needed.
Cross trained on front desk duties including but not limited to, greeting patients/visitors, answering calls,
scheduling appointments, maintaining/scanning patient medical records
Performs environmental responsibilities as assigned.
Sets up instruments and equipment according to department protocol.
Applies principles of infection control.
- Cleans exam/procedures rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection
- control following established department policy.
- Cleans sterilizer (when applicable) according to scheduled maintenance program and maintains
- Orders, sorts and stores supplies following established department policy.
- Performs other related organizational duties as assigned
- Maintains patient autonomy, confidentiality and dignity.
- Ensures providers submit timely and accurate billing.
- Maintains knowledge of practice policy, HIPPA, current coding, OSHA regulation and CLIA regulations
- Provides prompt attention to urgent and non-urgent patient issues as evidenced by observation and
feedback from staff.
- Quickly shares problems related to patients and/or staff with Supervisor.
- Work with Care Coordinator for Patient Centered Medical Home initiatives.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings.
- Collaborate in development and delivery of programs and activities for individuals, families and population
groups that promote health and prevent disease.
- Collaborate in the development of and contributes to individual team, and department quality
improvement and evaluation activities.
- Advocate on behalf of vulnerable individuals and populations.
- Contribute to a work environment that fosters ongoing educational experiences for self, colleagues,
healthcare professionals and members of the community.
- Collaborate in developing a work environment where continuous quality improvements in practice are
- Utilize appropriate methods for interacting effectively and professionally with persons of all ages and
from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, lifestyles and physical abilities.
- Coordinate efforts to gain patient and family feedback regarding their experiences of healthcare (focus
groups, surveys and other means) and participate in interventions which address articulated needs.
EDUCATION: (number of years and type required to perform the position duties):
High School Diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an accredited medical assistant certificate program .*
Certification/Registration (CCMA/CMA/AAMA/RMA) preferred.
EXPERIENCE: (number of years and type required to meet an acceptable level of performance):
Minimum of 1 year private practice medical assistant experience preferred in a primary care or specialist office.
- Excellent, organizational, communication, customer service and teamwork skills required.
- Ability to multi-task is essential.
- EMR experience preferred and working knowledge of Microsoft office applications required. CPR certification
- Bilingual preferred but not required.
- Core philosophy or values consistent with a patient-centered approach to care.
- Demonstrates professional, appropriate, effective and tactful written, verbal and nonverbal communication with
patients, families, medical staff, colleagues, vendors, and other departments throughout the continuum of care to
promote continuity of care and services and enhance clinical image.
Medical Assisting Certification preferred.
INFORMATIONAL SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMAND:
- MMR is required.
- Varivax (chicken pox vaccine) or evidence of prior chicken pox is required.
- Hepatitis B (or signed
declination) is required for those with potential exposure to blood/body fluids.
- Tdap and influenza vaccination are strongly encouraged.
Vanguard is an industry leading, privately held staffing agency in business for over 40 years. We work to cultivate a unique professional relationship with every Client and Employee. Vanguard attains superior results by devoting all of our resources, creativity, and experience to each and every placement. We are committed to your success.